Roast Chicken with Lemony Herb Mayo
Using this Lemony Herb Mayo as a seasoning rub results in a roast chicken that practically bastes itself. Mayonnaise, unlike butter or oil, stays put on the chicken in the oven, sealing in flavors and creating a crispy, flavorful skin. Be sure to allow time to brine the chicken.
- 1/2 gallon water, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 gallon water, iced
- 1 1/2 cups Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 roasting chicken, about 6 pounds
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stick, quartered
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- Make brine: Combine the room-temperature water, salt, sugar, lemon, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand until the water cools to just warm. Add the ice-water to the pot.
- Place the chicken in a large container and cover with the brine. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, discard brine and pat the chicken dry.
- Make Lemony Herb Mayo: Combine the mayonnaise, rosemary, lemon juice, lemon zest, sage, thyme, parsley and black pepper and mix well.
- Prepare chicken: Preheat oven to 450℉. Place the chicken on a roasting pan or baking sheet with a rack. Rub the Lemony Herb Mayo on all surfaces of the chicken, coating it completely. Stuff the onion, carrot, celery and thyme into the cavity.
- Place in the center of the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350℉ and continue roasting for 1 hour or until the breast temperature reaches 180℉. If the skin begins to get too dark, remove the chicken, tent it with aluminum foil, and return to the oven.
- When done, remove the chicken from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving.