Creole Tomato Pie
Straight from the Louisiana Cookin’ Test Kitchen – This gorgeous tomato pie is filled with an irresistible mixture of goat cheese and mozzarella.
1 (9-inch) pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cold whole buttermilk
- 2 pounds Creole tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package part-skim mozzarella, shredded and divided
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise*
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil, divided
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, cornmeal, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add cold buttermilk in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto a very lightly floured surface. Shape into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels, place tomato slices. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Let stand for 15 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Let dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with baking spray with flour. Transfer dough to prepared plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp, if desired. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, goat cheese, mayonnaise, egg, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place onion mixture in bottom of prepared crust. Top with half of cheese mixture; top with half of tomato slices. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon basil. Spread remaining cheese mixture on top, and top with remaining tomato slices.
- Bake until golden brown and center is set, 35 to 40 minutes, covering crust with foil after 20 to 25 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, and bake until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes more. Serve warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil. Garnish with pepper, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
*We used Blue Plate Mayonnaise.