Burgers with Pineapple Salsa & Alabama-Style White BBQ Sauce
Here’s our take on the great burgers served at Playa Restaurant in Orange Beach, on the Alabama Gulf Coast. Dress them with this tangy, mayonnaise-based Alabama-style barbecue sauce that’s a favorite in the region for anything from burgers to ribs to wings.
- 2 cups small dice fresh pineapple
- 1 cup small dice mango
- ½ cup small dice red bell pepper
- ½ cup small dice red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Alabama-Style BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic, mashed to a paste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 ¼ pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 4 Hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons Alabama-Style BBQ Sauce
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- Pineapple Salsa
- Tortilla chips
- MAKE SALSA: Combine all salsa ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Let stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes to develop flavors. Makes about 1 quart.
- MAKE BBQ SAUCE: Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (Sauce can be made in advance and refrigerated in a resealable container for several days.) Makes about 1 ½ cups.
- MAKE BURGERS: Preheat grill to medium-high. Mix ground beef in a bowl with mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and form into 4 patties. Rub grill with a little olive oil so burgers will not stick to grate and transfer burgers to grill. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness of burgers. In the last minute of cooking add sliced cheese and close grill lid to melt the cheese. Transfer burgers to a platter and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- SERVE BURGERS: Place burgers on bottom buns and spoon 1 tablespoon of BBQ Sauce on each. Top with 1 or 2 tablespoons of Pineapple Salsa and cover with top buns. Serve with tortilla chips and remaining salsa.